Sunday, July 26, 2009

From the Ocean to the Mobile Taco Truck - The Intense, Smoky Marlin Tacos of Mariscos German

I've heard about the famous, highly-lauded Marlyn (Marlin) Tacos of the Mariscos German taco truck for quite some time. But it was always a tad too far of a drive for me. So when Jotaru dragged me along to visit some friends in the San Diego area, this was the first destination to pop up on my itinerary. :)

Thanks kare_raisu and so many other SD Hounds, I was prepped and ready to try their most famous offerings. Mariscos German now encompasses multiple taco trucks and a standalone restaurant, but the truck at University & 35th Street seems to be the most lauded. According to our server, Mariscos German buys whatever they need for the day, fresh from the local fish market before heading out to their destination, ensuring fresh seafood (and it shows).

Arriving on a weekday afternoon, the Mariscos German truck is packed, with a steady line of people showing up throughout our meal (with no letup in sight).

We start with their Taco de Cayo (Scallop Taco).

Local Bay Scallops are sauteed with Bell Peppers, Celery, Onions and Cilantro. The Bay Scallops are bright, fresh and still juicy, impressive for a venue most would associate with simple, fast food.

All customers are also provided with a cup of their Seafood Consomme made with Shrimp Heads, Cabbage and Celery. It's a focused, peppery, spicy, piping hot cup of soup, slightly briny and delicious.

The next dish, however was the one I was most looking forward to: Taco de Marlyn (Marlin Taco). I've read so much about them that I was wondering if it would live up to the anticipation, but after the first bite I understood the greatness. (^_^) The Marlin is perfectly cooked through, still moist and tender. But it's the texture and flavor that are most surprising: Intense, smoky, meaty... both of my guests thought it was pork at first. This is the first time I've had Marlin this spot-on in every facet. When combined with the Bell Peppers, Onions, Celery and Monterey Jack Cheese, it makes for a great combination. Outstanding. :)

Finally, we finish up with Taco de Gobernador, which turns out to be a Shrimp Taco, sauteed in the same style as the Marlyn and Cayo Tacos with Monterey Jack Cheese.

While the Shrimp tasted pretty fresh, they were uncleaned, which was a little off-putting to one of my guests. Otherwise it tasted pretty straightforward for a Shrimp Taco. The other slightly disappointing aspect is that all of the Tacos we tried were cooked with the same complementary ingredients (Bell Peppers, Celery, Onions) resulting in a similar flavor profile at times (but the texture and type of protein still stood out).

On our way out we notice a massive plate of what looks like everything of the sea, which turns out to be their Tostada Loca, a fried Tortilla bowl filled with every type of seafood offered at Mariscos German, definitely something to order next time. :) Each of their tacos are priced at $3.75, and we averaged about ~$11 per person.

Mariscos German offers up an enjoyable selection of seafood, with their Marlin Tacos being the standout. It's not a destination eatery, but I'm still dreaming about their Marlin and wish that I had a Mariscos German taco truck in my neighborhood. Perhaps one day. :)

Rating: 7.9 (out of 10.0)

Mariscos German
At the corner of University Avenue & 35th Street
San Diego, CA 92104

Hours: 7 Days A Week, 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.


Charlie Fu said...

i'm a giant fan of their fish tacos, simple and a buck! I also like to think of their Smoked Marlin tacos as "sea bacon" tacos ;).

Where else are you going in SD?

Exile Kiss said...

Hi Charlie,

Ooh! "Sea Bacon"! (^_^) That's a perfect description. :)

I'll have more reviews of my visit with my friends soon. Stay tuned. :)

attran99 said...

Another awesome review, Exilekiss...with some awesome pictures! I think I can taste the food just with the pictures. Is that their only location in SD and are they consistently there? I'm headed down to SD for our annual family vacation and would love to grab a meal here. Thanks!

Exile Kiss said...

Hi attran99,

Thanks. :) They are definitely consistently there, 7 days a week. They have 2 other trucks IIRC, but I haven't visited those other locations, so I can't vouch for the cooking there (but I heard it's supposed to be as good). (I heard the brick&mortar location is on a downhill alert, though.)

Hope you enjoy your vacation! :)

e d b m said...

ExileK, how do these compare to the ones at Marisco Chente? i really like the smokiness and tenderness of the fish. i was expecting them to be pretty dried out.

Exile Kiss said...

Hi e d b m,

As many times as I've been to Chente, I keep getting sidetracked by their amazing Pescado Zarandeado and all their Camarones dishes. :) Everytime I go, I seem to taking someone new to try it out and never got to try the Marlin. I will next time and let you know. :)

The Mariscos German Marlyn Tacos are pretty darn good, though. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin